Thursday, March 8, 2007

Editing Wikipedia

I just completed by second Wikipedia edit. This time, I chose to edit an article on Paderno del Grappa, Italy. I studied abroad in Italy in the Spring of 2006, and lived in Paderno del Grappa for the semester. The original Wikipedia article had very little information and was classified as a "stub." Paderno is an extremely small town, so there is a limited amount of information available, but I was able to add information based on personal experience. I added the following information making sure to link to other Wikipedia articles where possible:

"Paderno del Grappa is located at the base of Mount Grappa, a mountain located in the Dolomites.

Paderno del Grappa is home to Istituto Filipin, an Italian boarding school. The Instituto Filipin campus also serves as the undergraduate campus for the Consortium Universities for International Studies (also known as CIMBA)."

Once again, editing Wikipedia has proven to be very simple. My last Wikipedia edit generated only one minor change a few days later. The change involved "Wikilinking" the birth and death dates. I speculate that the articles that I have chosen to edit are not frequently viewed articles. In addition, the topics are far from controversial. This is likely why there was not a big response to my previous edits. It will be interesting to see what additional edits the Paderno del Grappa article generates.

No comments: