Sunday, May 20, 2007

Wikipedia Edit - Edwin Austin Abbey

I just completed my third edit to the Edwin Austin Abbey Wikipedia Page. I added information about Abbey's illness and death. With the addition of this information about the later years of Abbey's life, I have added everything to the article that I have knowledge of at this time. This section included a lot of references to other Wikipedia pages, so I included links to other pages where necessary. Below is the text that I added to Wikipedia:

Unfortunately, Abbey became ill with cancer in 1911 slowing his work. At the time, he was working on the "Reading of the Declaration of Independence Mural" which was later installed in the House Chamber. Abbey was so ill, that his studio assistant, Ernest Board completed the work with little supervision from Abbey. Later in 1911, Abbey passed away, leaving his commission for the State Capitol of Pennsylvania unfinished. John Singer Sargent, a friend and neighbor of Abbey, and studio assistant Board completed the "Reading of the Declaration of Independence Mural." Abbey's works were installed in the Rotunda and House Chamber. Two rooms from Abbey's commission were left undone, and the remainder of the commission was given to Violet Oakley. Oakley completed the works from start to finish using her own designs.

No comments: