Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Wikipedia Edit - Henry Chapman Mercer

I just completed my next edit of the Henry Chapman Mercer Wikipedia Page
. Just like the Abbey page, the Mercer page has not been edited since my last edit. I began my edit by adding a link to the Pennsylvania Capitol Preservation Committee's biography of Mercer. This biography gives a more extensive look at Mercer than Wikipedia, especially in his work pertaining to the Capitol. I next rearranged some of the existing text in the article. The opening paragraph in the previous version of the article talked about buildings constructed by Mercer. Since the Wikipedia article is about Mercer, the article should open with background information. In addition, a later part of the article talks about one of these buildings. I did not change any text, but simply cut the previous opening paragraph and added it to a later spot in the article.

In fact, the article contained very biographical information about Mercer. I added a short paragraph about the artist in the beginning of the article. The following is the biographical information I added to the article:

Henry Chapman Mercer was born in Doylestown, Pennsylvania in 1856. He was educated at Harvard University and the University of Pennsylvania Law School. Mercer, however, only practiced law for a short period of time. The University of Pennsylvania Museum appointed Mercer as the Curator of American and Prehistoric Archeology in the early 1890's. Leaving his position with the Museum in the late 1890's, Mercer devoted himself to finding old American artifacts and learning about German pottery.

No comments: